EMPTY GAZES

 




— by Blue


I would always see her portrait hanging just above the corner of the staircase that connected the upper and lower parts of the house. That staircase acted like a gateway or the divide between heaven and hell, and her face the gatekeeper with the eyes that could see anyone—everyone. She was always there, and I always aware. 


I could not remember when the first time that portrait of hers were hanged inside the house. Perhaps it has always been there, long before I was born. I'm not sure. All I know is that one day, it was there and I could see her. 


Her name was something I should've remembered but I couldn't bring myself to. It brought me nightmares in bed that my mind chose to bury it away out of my reach. 


Her hair is raven black, her skin pale as sickly white. She was lean and she had a cat resting on her bony left arm. The scaly fingers of her right hand caressed the fur of the mischievous creature. Her eyes, they were the emptiest orbs I have ever seen, so empty that you could see yourself inside it. It was the scariest glint of silver that I never knew a human could have. Perhaps she was never human. 


The cat in the portrait is still alive. I actually like her. She roams the upper quarters and lingers by the window pane of any open room. She liked the roof as well and would bask in the moonlight. Naughty little black cat she is. She would sometimes steal my snacks and dinner. 


But anyway, talking back about the portrait, I caught myself staring at it again. It's strange. How can I stare at it for long when I know it gives me the chills? 


I hear someone whisper from below, the lands of hell as I once called it. 


"She's staring at her portrait again," such were the start of their gossiping. 


"It's making me uneasy like usual," a different voice joined in the chatter. "Can't she just look at a mirror instead?" 


Twitch. 


"Oh, but haven't you known? All the mirrors in this house are broken. She broke them all."






________ Thank you so much for reading ^^

featured art made by yours truly 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POSSESSION OF THE SOUL

EMPTY SHELL

yellow